01 May, 2010

Additional Arrest Made in South Capitol Street Shootings

Additional Arrest Made in South Capitol Street Shootings

The Metropolitan Police Department announced today that an additional arrest has been made in the shootings that occurred on South Capitol Street on March 30, 2010.

Twenty-one year old Jeffrey D. Best was arrested in Southeast, DC just before 9 am on Monday, April 26, 2010 by members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force pursuant to an arrest warrant charging him with four counts of Murder One While Armed and one count of Felony Murder While Armed.

The shooting incidents which occurred in the 4000 block of South Capitol Street, SE and in the unit block of Galveston Street, SW on the evening of March 30, 2010 resulted in four fatalities. A total of nine people were shot, six males and three females.

Two suspects were arrested on March 30 and two other suspects were arrested on April 22, 2010.

“We are very pleased to announce the final arrest in this case,” said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. “While I know this does not alleviate the pain caused by these heinous acts, this arrest closes a chapter in this tragedy.”

Fenty Administration Announces Arrests in South Capitol Street Shootings

Earlier today the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) made two additional arrests in the tragic shootings that occurred on South Capitol Street on March 30, 2010. MPD also executed several search warrants in connection with the case.

Twenty-two year-old Robert Bost was arrested pursuant an arrest warrant charging three counts of First Degree Murder While Armed and one count of Felony Murder while Armed, and twenty- two year-old Lamar Williams was arrested pursuant a DC Superior Court warrant charging four counts of Murder I While Armed and one count of Felony Murder While Armed.

Today’s arrests are the culmination of the ongoing investigation of MPD and attorneys from the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia (USAO) and the Office of the Attorney General of the District of Columbia (OAG) in the weeks since the initial arrests.

On the night of the shootings, MPD arrested Orlando Carter, Nathaniel Simms and a 14 year-old juvenile named Malik Carter. The USAO is pursuing charges against Orlando Carter and Nathaniel Simms. Malik Carter’s case is being handled by the Office of the Attorney General. The investigation by MPD, USAO and OAG has determined that Malik Carter was not involved in the March 30th shootings. This morning the OAG dismissed all charges against him.

The names of juvenile arrestees are generally not published nor is law enforcement permitted to publicly discuss juvenile matters due to the District’s strict confidentiality laws. Unfortunately, at least one publication identified the juvenile in this case. At the request of Attorney General Peter Nickles, earlier today Judge William Jackson, presiding Judge of the Family Court of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, signed an order allowing MPD and OAG to discuss the case in order to publicly clear Malik Carter’s name.

Malik Carter was originally identified as the driver of the van that carried the gunmen. At a preliminary hearing, the Court found sufficient evidence to support probable cause for the arrest and for a commitment to secure detention pending trial. However, evidence discovered since his arrest makes it clear that he was not involved.

“On behalf of all residents of the District, we continue to keep the families and friends of the victims in our thoughts and prayers,” said Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. “This case has been difficult for all of us to accept, in fact any senseless act of murder is one tragedy too many. I commend the men and women of the Metropolitan Police Department who have worked hard over the past several weeks to bring this case to closure.”

Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said, “A set of facts and circumstances developed that led our officers to firmly believe in good faith that Malik Carter was involved in this case. That preliminary information did not dissuade our investigators from ultimately uncovering the truth, exonerating Malik, and bringing this case to closure. I am hopeful that these arrests will bring some comfort to the victim’s families.”

Attorney General Nickles said, “I am extremely impressed with the thoroughness of this investigation. The result is fairness to Malik who has been exonerated and the identification and arrest of all the perpetrators involved in this horrific offense.”

No comments: